Friday, April 20, 2012

A Peek into POTS

Along with EDS, I am dealing with POTS: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, a dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system.   It is found in approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of those with EDS, hypermobility and classic types.  I just found this great (but long) video from DINET.org on POTS.  No one can see the challenges with EDS unless there is a visual cue.  When I wear my elbow or knee brace, I get questions like "did you hurt yourself playing volleyball?"  ".....basketball?"  Well, no.  Either of those would probably do damage to me!  (But I don't say that.)  POTS is even more "invisible".   There are no braces or ice packs to give anyone a clue that I'm in the midst of a very real challenge during a flare up.  I think this video gives a good glimpse into the hows, whys and the what-it's-like of POTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment