Sunday, September 30, 2012

Just Another Hip Chick: Part One

My left hip has been bothering me for several years.  Physical therapy has helped strengthen it but there has been something going on there that nothing has helped.  Honestly, I was wondering if I would get diagnosed with some type of hip dysplasia but part of me didn't really think it was going to be significant.  But when I saw a hip surgeon a week ago, x-rays did in fact show I have hip dysplasia in both hips.  Hip dysplasia is when your hip sockets are really shallow.  The joint doesn't sit in the socket correctly so subluxations, dislocations  and labrum tears are common (I also have a tear).  A Ganz osteotomy (loosely translated, as major hip surgery;) has been recommended.   My doctor encouraged me to make a decision of when to do it within the next three years. We are thinking sooner rather than later but haven't made a decision yet.  The recovery is challenging.  A week in the hospital, two months with no weight bearing on the operated leg and six months of rehab.

The day I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia I didn't really know what to think.  It was a mix of emotions.  I couldn't figure out if I was scared or what I was thinking.  What was I afraid of? What was expected of me?  I suddenly remembered you can look at it in two different ways and which way was I suppose to see it? Simple as that. You can view obstacles or what seems like a terrible thing as the end of the world, or you can realize that sometimes those are the times for the best opportunities to show up. It really isn't anywhere near the end of the world and with all honestly theres a whole lot more to life than a bum joint or a major operation.  A WHOLE lot more!
 

Resources:
 - How Stuff Works
 -Hip Dysplasia

2 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for you, girl! :) Keep me updated! I'd love to start emailing each other. :) I don't know yours, but this is mine: livingwithcrpsandeds@gmail.com

    Hope to hear from you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw..thanks.....SO sweet of you:) btw I've been wanting to get your email address for sometime now!!!! Can't wait to email ya;)

      Delete